Submission of Books for Distribution
Blue Weaver is always on the lookout for new content and welcomes publishers and self-published authors to submit their work for evaluation.
But because we are an independent distributor and have a specialist list of titles, please note our areas of focus:
- Non-fiction: This is our strongest list and categories include history, military/war history, biographies, politics and current affairs, African interest, general sciences, natural sciences, travel, sport, language and reference, business, architecture and design, hobbies and craft, art techniques and collectables
- Fiction: Titles will not be restricted according to genre, but evaluation will depend greatly on the marketing and PR/publicity plan that accompanies it.
- Children: Our focus lies with educational and reference books, particularly titles with South African content
- Academic: any academic, scholarly, and professional titles subject to peer review
Please also note the following about Blue Weaver before sending in your submission:
- Blue Weaver is a book sales, warehousing, and distribution company. We are not a publishing company and are therefore, unfortunately, not involved in manuscript development, editing, designing, or production. Once a book has been published and printed, we provide the service of warehousing, promoting, selling and distributing the book to book retailers throughout South Africa and internationally.
- Blue Weaver’s main marketing channel is promoting and selling titles directly to bookshops. Should we agree to accept a publisher’s or author’s book for distribution, the expectation is that the publisher or author will create the necessary consumer awareness through generating book reviews, publicity, and public relations.
- The rate we apply for services is very dependent on the nature of the services required, the size of the list, the size of the publishing programme, the target market (readership) and the accompanying marketing communication, PR and publicity plans.
- Blue Weaver does work with preferred service providers in the publishing services industry and the print industry. Referrals are available upon request.
Please include the following information in your submission:
- Author name and contact details
- Concise author biography
- Book title
- Cover image in .jpeg format
- A concise summary (no more than 400 words) of the book
- A provisional table of contents
- Name of the publisher or publishing service the book was published through
- Date of publication
- Name of the copyright owner
- List of competitors in the market
- Motivation for why the book is different from its competitors
- Describe all marketing and PR/publicity activities that have been completed
- Describe all future marketing and PR/publicity activities
- Describe any previous distribution of the title
- List any bookstores the book has been shown to/sold through
- Provide a recommended retail price (RRP) for the book
- Provide an estimated amount of what you would like to make back per copy
If you would like to send a physical sample copy to assist with the evaluation of your submission, please include the request in your submission and you will be provided with a delivery address. Please note that the submission of a physical sample copy is done so on a non-returnable basis.
While we aim to respond to all submissions, we are unable to acknowledge individual receipt of each proposal due to the high volumes we receive. It may take 6-8 weeks to evaluate your submission and reply. If you have not received any correspondence after eight weeks, please assume that your submission has not been successful on this occasion.
Due to the very diverse nature of the Publishers we represent, and the titles we distribute, we have working relationships in place with a large number of International Distributors. International Libraries, Book Retailers and Consumers may refer their queries in this regard to the respective Blue Weaver Sales Division or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For South African Authors and Publishers wanting their titles promoted and sold internationally, Blue Weaver works with a UK-based Marketing, Sales and Distribution Company. Queries in this regard may be referred to email@example.com.